Be a part of a movement that changes Christmas morning for someone experience hardship
For the 19th year we need your help to support our community by providing gifts to vulnerable families in the Greater Geelong and Barwon regions.
The reality is that thousands of Australians will go without a gift this holiday season, but not by choice.
Through the generosity of our community we have received over 51,000 gifts from previous campaigns.
We need your help to add to that number and make sure people like Amelia* who could be our friend, family, co-worker or neighbor feel supported.
2019 Gift Tally coming soon
Amelia’s story* – Name changed
“In the days before Christmas in 2017, I had my two young children returned to my care.
Although this was such a happy time for me that I had been working towards for so long, I was struggling to find money for food and clothing, with Christmas gifts just too much of a stretch. I thought that we would skip Christmas altogether.
I confided my thoughts to my case worker and was so relieved when she offered two gifts for each of my children through the Giving Tree Appeal. She provided the gifts and small food package discretely to me during an afternoon visit, 1 day before Santa was scheduled to visit. The next morning my 4 and 6 year old were delighted to wake to their 2 presents from Santa.
As a mother who was experiencing an extremely tough time, I was so thankful for the generous gifts and the memories I was able to create with my children.
Fast forward two years, we are in a much safer space and have already picked our gifts to donate back to the appeal this year”.
How does it work?
- Community members (that’s you!) place unwrapped new gifts under official Giving Tree sites from the 18th November – A full list of sites can be found here
- All donations need to be in by the 13th December
- The earlier the better! We want to make sure that the gifts get to the right people before Christmas morning. Donating early helps.
- The Bethany team collect, sort and allocate gifts to individuals and families provided by Bethany Community Support and our eight partner agencies including:
- MacKillop Family Services
- SalvoConnect Barwon
- genU/Matchworks Employment Services
- The Sexual Assault & Family Violence Centre
- Barwon Child, Youth & Family
- Wathaurong Aboriginal Cooperative
- Bethany Kindergarten Services
*If you are connected to any of the above services and would like to receive gifts from the Appeal please speak to your caseworker
How can you help?
By donating new and unwrapped gifts under our Giving Tree sites – A full list of sites can be found here.
It’s a great idea to have in mind the person you are purchasing for ie – a teenage boy, a single mother, a young girl.
Popular gift ideas:
- Art and school packs – ie backpacks, lunchboxes, drink bottles
- Sporting equipment and outdoor gear – ie beach equipment, towels etc
- Board games
- Non-perishable Christmas food item
Don’t know what to buy? Don’t worry we have you sorted – We have launched an online voucher shop where you can donate and we will do the picking for you. It’s that easy.