You can find support and do things differently
Bethany Community Support helps people who are using violence to make better choices and support people and families experiencing family violence to be safe.
If you are using behaviour that doesn’t feel ok, that doesn’t feel safe, or that makes you uncomfortable in any way, contact Bethany Community Support on 03 5278 8122 during business hours. Outside of business hours, contact the Men’s Referral Service.
Bethany Men’s Family Violence Intervention Centre
Our Men’s Family Violence Intervention Centre supports people who choose to use violence in their relationships. We work with you to
- understand your behaviour and choices you have made within the family
- take responsibility for your behaviour
- make changes and stop using violence
- understand the types of family violence
- learn strategies that do not include using violence.
Our service can also assist you with:
- seeing a lawyer for advice
- having support in court
- referrals to specialist services that help with other issues you may have in your life, including poor mental health, drugs, alcohol, homelessness, gambling and unemployment.
Our Centre is informed by cutting-edge research and emerging practice, and provides a coordinated, cross-sector response to people using family violence. We work in close partnership with other family violence services in the region including The Orange Door.
Who it is for
No Referral required
Services available at the Family Violence Intervention Centre include:
Behaviour Change Group Work
Bethany’s Behaviour Change program address the use of family violence through a gendered lens, and places accountability and responsibility to change on the person choosing to use violence.
The Behaviour Change Program aims to:
- Encourage you to take responsibility for your use of family violence.
- Provide an opportunity for you to explore attitudes and beliefs that may influence your use of violence.
- Increase your understanding of the impact of your use of family violence on your partner, children and family members.
- Assist you to make changes that help you develop safe and respectful relationships with your partner, children and family members.
The program is delivered across 27 sessions of group work.
Our team also supports people using violence through ongoing case management. We work with you to:
- Develop an individual program that will connect you into specialist programs to help address other issues that may intersect with using violence such as alcohol and drugs, mental health and homelessness.
- Support you to be ready to join a group as part of our Behaviour Change program.
Men’s Behaviour Change– Post Participation Group
MBC Post Participation Group will provide an opportunity for men to continue their journey of change and reinforce behaviour change and accountability as previously explored in the MBC program.
Family Safety Contact
Support is also available for all partners, ex-partners and children of people who use violence through Bethany’s Family Safety Contact program. This program focuses on safety and risk mitigation.
Bethany is committed to providing a child safe environment. We have zero tolerance of any abuse or maltreatment of children. We are committed to ensuring children and young people are able to actively participate in decisions that affect their lives.
How to access this service
Call us on (03) 578 8122 to refer yourself to any service and learn about the options available to you.
Frequently asked questions
Support for men is also available through:
- Men’s Referral Service: 1300 766 491
- Men’s Line: 1300 78 99 78 (24 hours)