BCYF & Bethany have merged! Our two like-minded not-for-profit organisations are now Meli. Learn more

Tenancy Support


Important Information

​I don’t have anywhere to sleep tonight, can you help?
​We do not provide housing. If you are in crisis please call the Barwon Housing and Homeless Support Service on 1800 825 955 (free call) who will complete an assessment and referral.

I need to leave my home to escape family violence – can you help? 

If you’re escaping family violence and need housing, please call the Barwon Housing and Homeless Support Service on 1800 825 955. 

Bethany Community Support helps people who are having trouble with their housing arrangements. We have free programs for anyone who may be experiencing homelessness or may be at risk of becoming homeless.

If you live in public or community housing and are having difficulties, we will work with you to:

  • maintain your tenancy wherever possible
  • make sure it’s a safe place for you
  • address any issues that contributed to you experiencing homelessness.

We may link you with other community supports and resources who will advocate on your behalf if we believe this will support you to achieve a better outcome.

Our housing programs include:

Tenancy Plus program 

This program supports individuals and families living in public or community housing, where their housing may be at risk. We work with people to maintain safe, appropriate, and sustainable accommodation.


  • Current renters residing in public housing in the Barwon region.
  • Current renters residing in community housing.

How to access this service

If you live in public housing or community housing, please call us on (03) 5278 8122 and ask to speak with someone in our intake team.

We accept referrals into the Tenancy Plus program at all times. Please be aware that during periods of high demand there may be a wait of several weeks to access this service.

Locations that provide this service

  • Geelong
  • Colac

Support for Families at Risk of Homelessness (sFAR program)

Our Support for Families at Risk of Homelessness or sFAR program supports families who have recently moved into stable accommodation after experiencing homelessness, which aims to:

  • address the issues that families face that may have led to their experience of homelessness
  • support families to be able to maintain their tenancy independently, focusing on skill development and future planning.

The program supports people aged 18 and over who have children in their primary care. This can include grandparents and other formal care arrangements.


  • Families with dependent children in their care, who:
  • have recently exited the homelessness service system
  • are residing in long-term accommodation
  • have a range of complex needs
  • are willing to engage with support and develop a case plan.

How to access this service

If you’ve recently secured long-term accommodation in public housing, community housing or private rental and need support for housing-related matters, please call us on (03) 5278 8122 or email housing@bethany.org. au to find out more.

If you’re homeless or escaping family violence and need urgent housing, please call 1800 825 955.

We accept referrals into the sFAR program at all times. Please be aware that during periods of high demand there may be a wait of several months before you are allocated a case manager.

Locations that provide this service

  • Barwon region
  • South West region

Support for ongoing private rental tenancy issues (TAAP program)

Our Tenancy Assistance and Advocacy program (TAAP) supports tenants with a wide range of issues including:

  • repairs
  • rental increases
  • notices to vacate
  • bond refunds
  • goods left behind
  • VCAT hearings
  • ending a lease
  • breaches of the landlord’s duties

This program is for tenants living in private rental accommodation who are also experiencing financial disadvantage, family violence, or both.


You are eligible for this program if your main source of income is a Centrelink benefit, or if your income is insufficient to sustain your personal financial commitments.

Even if you’re not eligible for our TAAP program, we may still be able to provide you with information about your rights and obligations under your tenancy agreement as well as tenancy laws like the Residential Tenancies Act. We can also refer you to other services who may be able to help.

We can support you whether you’re renting through a real estate agent or directly from your landlord, caravan park or rooming house. We assist with disputes between tenants and their landlords or rental agents – this doesn’t include disputes between tenants, like issues you may be experiencing with a housemate.

How to access this service

Please call us on 1300 510 439 or email to TAAPwesterndistrict@bethany.org.au to find out more.
If you are homeless or escaping family violence and need housing, please call the Salvation Army Adult Entry point on 1800 825 955. 

We accept referrals to this service at all times.

Locations that this service is provided in 

  • South West region
  • Wimmera region

Who it is for

Geelong, Colac, Barwon, South West & Wimmera Regions
No Referral required

Frequently asked questions

Who is considered to be experiencing homelessness?

Anyone who is currently couch surfing, living in transitional, emergency accommodation, sleeping in their cars or sleeping rough. The definition of homelessness is broad – we recognise that everyone’s situation is different. 

How can you help me?

We will talk with you and ask you about your goals and what you need. We then work alongside you to help you achieve the outcomes you’re looking for to help you stay in your home. We’re focused on supporting you to maintain long-term housing, building on your strengths and capabilities. 

You’ll have a case manager – someone who will meet with you regularly to support you with you as you work towards your goals. This might be weekly in the beginning, and less frequent as time goes on.  

I don’t have anywhere to sleep tonight, can you help?

Unfortunately we do not provide housing, If you are in crisis please call the homelessness access point on 1800 825 955 who will complete an assessment and referral. 

How can I help?

We really appreciate feedback from people who use our services. We encourage you to let us know what we are doing well and what we could do better.  

Further resources

General homelessness support services 

Homelessness Advocacy Service

To access support, contact HAS Advocate Angela 

Call 1800 066 256 or 8415 6213

Email angela@chp.org.au

Justice Connect

Call 03 8636 4400

Council to Homeless Persons

Call 03 8415 6200 

Barwon Housing and Homeless Support Services 

Call 1800 825 955 


Services in Geelong 

Geelong Food Relief Centre

Call 03 5278 6588 


Services in Warrnambool 

SalvoConnect Warrnambool – Crisis and Supported Accommodation

70 Henna St, Warrnambool VIC 3280

Call 03 5564 9111 

Brophy Transitional Housing Support Service and Crisis Accommodation Program 

210 Timor St, Warrnambool VIC 3280

Call (03) 5561 8888

Your situation is unique, but you don’t need to struggle alone. We are here to help.