Bethany Kindergarten Services has developed a Privacy and Confidentiality Policy that illustrates how we collect, use, disclose, manage and transfer personal information, including health information. This policy is available on request.
To ensure ongoing funding and licensing, our service is required to comply with the requirements of privacy legislation in relation to the collection and use of personal and sensitive information. If we need to collect health information, our procedures are subject to the Health Records Act 2001.
The Child Information and Family Violence Information Sharing Scheme allows Early Childhood Services to freely request and share relevant information with Information Sharing Entities to support a child or group of children’s wellbeing and safety when the threshold test has been met.
Purpose for which information is collected
The reasons for which we generally collect personal information are given in the table:
|Personal information and health information collected in relation to:||Primary purpose for which information will be used:|
|Children and parents/guardians||
To enable us to provide for the education and care of the child attending the service
To manage and administer the service as required
|The approved provider if an individual, or members of the Parent Advisory Group/Board if the approved provider is an organisation||
For the management of the service
To comply with relevant legislation requirements
|Job applicants, employees, contractors, volunteers and students||
To assess and (if necessary) to engage employees, contractors, volunteers or students
To administer the individual’s employment, contracts or placement of students and volunteers
Please note that under relevant privacy legislation, other uses and disclosures of personal information may be permitted, as set out in that legislation.
Disclosure of personal information, including sensitive and health information
- Some personal information, including health information, held about an individual may be disclosed to:
- Government departments or agencies, as part of our legal and funding obligations
- Local government authorities, for planning purposes
- Organisations providing services related to employee entitlements and employment
- Insurance providers, in relation to specific claims or for obtaining cover
- Law enforcement agencies
- Health organisations and/or families in circumstances where the person requires urgent medical assistance and is incapable of giving permission
- Anyone to whom the individual authorises us to disclose information.
- Information sharing entities to support a child and a group of children’s wellbeing and safety.
Laws that require us to collect specific information
The Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010 and the Education and Care Services National Regulations 2011, Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic) and employment-related laws and agreements require us to collect specific information about individuals from time-to-time. Failure to provide the required information could affect:
- A child’s enrolment at the service
- A person’s employment with the service
- The ability to function as an incorporated association.
Access to information
Individuals about whom we hold personal, sensitive or health information can gain access to this information in accordance with applicable legislation. The procedure for doing this is set out in our Privacy and Confidentiality Policy, which is available on request.
For information on the Privacy and Confidentiality Policy, please refer to the copy available at the service or contact the approved provider/nominated supervisor.